Wilfrid Laurier University Student Publications is seeking artists to participate in STEEL RAIL SESSIONS 2014 in June 2014 – a moving one night party and art exhibition on the historic Waterloo Central Railway.
We’re looking for artists who can create unique and participatory installations on our train and our platform stops. Our mandate is celebrating art and community, and as such we’re completely open to the types of installations that are on the train. In the past we have had:
- A peep show created by area artists
- A play written by the audience in the train run by Theatre Brouhaha
- A twist on tarot cards performed by Hamilton’s Dodo Lab
Performances last about three hours – the duration of the train ride.
Acts and artists chosen will receive a $200.00 honorarium for their time and work. If additional funding is required please clearly indicate so in your submission proposal with detailed instruction as to what they money would be used for.
They will also be featured on community.thecord.ca, our monthly community publication’s website.
Please be advised that successful candidates will be required to be on the train the day of the event.
In your application please provide:
- A 500 word overview of what you would like to do on the train.
- Explanation of funding required beyond the $200.00 artist honorarium. Please also indicate your ability find external funding. External funders may be able to be recognized as sponsors. While projects that do not require extra funding are our favourite we are always willing to find the funds to make the right projects work and make this Steel Rails that much better.
- A bio
- Contact information
- Indicate which space would be preferable for your installation / act. Please keep in mind the more flexible your act is to fit in different areas the better your chances are of being selected:
- Flat open train car (approximately 10” x 15”)
- Regular train car with seats
- Hanging art gallery in regular seating train car space
- Small room on train. 1 of 2. Approximately 6” x 8”
- Train platform in Waterloo
- Waterloo Central Railway garage stop in St. Jacobs
- Food (a separate call out will be made for caterers but we are open to all creative ideas you may be able to execute)
- Creative Drink options
- Other ideas
Submissions are due by March 5, 2014 and can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Because of the volume of submissions received, we will not be able to contact all artists.
Pictures of last years event can be found here.
For more information, please contact Hayley Watson at email@example.com.